My First Day of Teaching


Shiles
Jun 30 · 2 min read
Photo by Taylor Wilcox on Unsplash
I don’t think anything has made me more nervous than anticipating my first day as a teacher — except may be standing in the door of a C-130 aircraft preparing to jump!
I wanted to be able to crush it during the first days of school, so as to have the credibility with my fellow teachers.
To make things worse, I had no one literary that I felt comfortable with whom I could turn to for advice. Then by chance something amazing happened.
Then I ran in to a classmate of mine who had been in my methods classes in college. He recommended a book that I should read and that he felt it would alleviate some of my concerns.
My plan was to go and get the book, and read it cover to cover. I wanted to really dig in the section about classroom management and what to do as soon as my students arrived. But there still was a problem.
Time was of the essence. Trying to absorb all the material that I was reading, as well as preparing my classroom, and buying supplies that I would need left me felling quite overwhelmed.
After it was all said and done, I put in place those strategies that the book had recommended. I got my classroom organized, and got all of the supplies and decorations that I needed to get things up and running. I now felt ready.
Although, all of my nervousness did not fully disappear, I felt so much better about how things might go. I felt confident that I would have a successful first day of school.

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment